ACCRA, Ghana — A U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in Ghana stabbed an alleged robber, who subsequently died, police said Monday.
Two U.S. Peace Corps volunteers, who said they were robbed and used a knife in self-defense, were questioned by police and later released, regional police commander Kofi Addae Akyampong said. The volunteers told police they were attacked late Friday night about 100 meters (330 feet) from their home in the northwestern town of Wa, he said.
"They said two men attacked them. During the struggle (one of the volunteers) used a knife to defend himself, then the attackers ran away," Akyampong said. He said the man who was stabbed subsequently died, and his body was found in Wa early Saturday morning.
Vincent Dedjoe, deputy director of criminal investigations for the Ghana Police, said the two Americans were released after questioning. He did not reveal the names of the aid program's volunteers.
U.S.-based Peace Corps spokeswoman Maureen Knightly said the two "volunteers were the victims of a crime" and they "voluntarily reported the incident ... were interviewed by local police and released later that day."
"Both volunteers are now in a safe location with Peace Corps staff," she added. The matter is now under investigation by Ghanaian officials and being closely monitored by U.S. officials, she said in a statement.
Calls to the U.S. Embassy in the West African country were not immediately returned.
Nearly 5,000 volunteers have served in Ghana over the 50 years the Peace Corps has been in the country, according to the country program's website.
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal...
- Mitt Romney to Jacksonville University...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Photos: Celebrating 25 years of spectacular...
- How to help Nepal earthquake victims
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Ceremonies mark liberation of concentration...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 30
- Obama sounds alarm on climate damage in... 29
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 22
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 13
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11