ACCRA, Ghana — A U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in Ghana stabbed an alleged robber, who subsequently died, police said Monday.
Two U.S. Peace Corps volunteers, who said they were robbed and used a knife in self-defense, were questioned by police and later released, regional police commander Kofi Addae Akyampong said. The volunteers told police they were attacked late Friday night about 100 meters (330 feet) from their home in the northwestern town of Wa, he said.
"They said two men attacked them. During the struggle (one of the volunteers) used a knife to defend himself, then the attackers ran away," Akyampong said. He said the man who was stabbed subsequently died, and his body was found in Wa early Saturday morning.
Vincent Dedjoe, deputy director of criminal investigations for the Ghana Police, said the two Americans were released after questioning. He did not reveal the names of the aid program's volunteers.
U.S.-based Peace Corps spokeswoman Maureen Knightly said the two "volunteers were the victims of a crime" and they "voluntarily reported the incident ... were interviewed by local police and released later that day."
"Both volunteers are now in a safe location with Peace Corps staff," she added. The matter is now under investigation by Ghanaian officials and being closely monitored by U.S. officials, she said in a statement.
Calls to the U.S. Embassy in the West African country were not immediately returned.
Nearly 5,000 volunteers have served in Ghana over the 50 years the Peace Corps has been in the country, according to the country program's website.
- North Korea makes apparent progress with...
- In speech, Trump to ramp up critique of...
- Nearly 1 in 3 on Medicare got commonly abused...
- Obama administration decries judge's fracking...
- Dems stage election-year sit-in on guns, GOP...
- House Democrats cheer Clinton in first...
- Capsule full of space station junk makes...
- Trump launches broad attack on Clinton's record
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Dems stage election-year sit-in on... 46
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 35
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25