Ravell Call, Deseret News
For the second time this summer, Jerry Sloan said no.
The former Jazz coach reportedly turned down an offer from the Portland Trail Blazers, last week, after previously withdrawing from consideration with the Charlotte Bobcats.
Rock On thinks Sloan should take his own advice and stop jackpotting around.
Utah athletics director Chris Hill announced last week that the Utah-BYU rivalry is taking a hiatus.
Hill said BYU and Utah won't meet in 2014 and 2015. The reason? Utah didn't want to schedule too many tough games.
"Our intent is to continue to schedule BYU," Hill said, "unless unusual circumstances dictate otherwise."
Like, oh, Hill has a headache.
Norman Sas, inventor of Tudor Electric Football, died last week.
Awkward game. Players clung together on a vibrating surface, traveling backward or sideways as often as they did forward. Passes caromed off the backs of the receivers.
Which makes a person wonder: Why didn't he just name it St. Louis Rams Electric Football?
An Ohio man was recently cleaning his grandfather's attic when he ran across a little surprise: $3 million worth of baseball cards.
Among the mint condition 1910 cards were those of Ty Cobb, Cy Young and Honus Wagner.
Which still doesn't explain why Rock On is keeping pants he bought in 1986.
Hawaii A.D. Jim Donovan and Sheriff Center manager Rich Sheriff have been placed on paid administrative leave following the cancellation of a Stevie Wonder concert.
The university reportedly paid $200,000 of athletic department funds to secure an Aug. 18 show. Problem was, Wonder didn't know anything about it. Now the university is suspecting it was scammed.
Among the hits Wonder was expected to sing: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours."
Kobe Bryant said last week that this year's Olympic team would beat the original Dream Team, in part because the 1992 team was old and not terribly athletic. Never mind Michael Jordan was 29 at the time and Bryant is 33.
Larry Bird tweeted that this year's team could indeed beat the '92 team — mainly because the original Dream Teamers are in their 40s and 50s.
Clearly, this year's team couldn't even beat the '92 team in trash talking.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 97
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 63
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 33
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27