Our take: With the 2012 London Olympic Games fast approaching, Christians living in London are also quickly increasing their efforts to spread their faith to as many people as they can reach. Through the Olympic Village Religious Services Centre, the Bible Society will provide commemorative English-language Bibles to athletes who will participate in the Olympics and Paralympics. The scriptures will also contain specially commissioned articles written to help athletes consider the relationships between sport and faith.
The Bible Society is readying thousands of copies of the Bible for distribution among athletes at the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The Olympic Village Religious Services Centre will be handing out 3,000 copies of commemorative English-language Scriptures.
Another 1,000 copies of Bibles and New Testaments will be available in other languages through partnerships with national Bible Societies around the world.
David Willson, chief executive of More Than Gold, said: "At past Olympics and other major sports events Ive seen athletes deeply grateful for the free gift of a Bible. Bible Society are to be highly commended for their support in making such gifts possible."
There are two Bibles being distributed in the English language - The Sports Good News Bible and The Sports Good News Gospel of Luke.
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- Pope visits Auschwitz in silence, meets...
- Pope urges clergy to go into the world, tend...
- Pioneer Day sunrise service: 'A legacy of faith'
- Days of '47 Parade: 'Pioneers: Inspiring...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 45
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34
- 'Duck Dynasty' star: Media,... 26
- 5 prayers to God that were just uttered... 22
- Defending the Faith: The 18th annual... 20
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 12