Our take: With the 2012 London Olympic Games fast approaching, Christians living in London are also quickly increasing their efforts to spread their faith to as many people as they can reach. Through the Olympic Village Religious Services Centre, the Bible Society will provide commemorative English-language Bibles to athletes who will participate in the Olympics and Paralympics. The scriptures will also contain specially commissioned articles written to help athletes consider the relationships between sport and faith.
The Bible Society is readying thousands of copies of the Bible for distribution among athletes at the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The Olympic Village Religious Services Centre will be handing out 3,000 copies of commemorative English-language Scriptures.
Another 1,000 copies of Bibles and New Testaments will be available in other languages through partnerships with national Bible Societies around the world.
David Willson, chief executive of More Than Gold, said: "At past Olympics and other major sports events Ive seen athletes deeply grateful for the free gift of a Bible. Bible Society are to be highly commended for their support in making such gifts possible."
There are two Bibles being distributed in the English language - The Sports Good News Bible and The Sports Good News Gospel of Luke.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 59
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 18
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 7
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter... 7