Baltimore placed Hammel on the 15-day disabled list Sunday.
Hammel's knee has been bothering him since May, but the injury became more serious Friday night when he was forced to leave a game against Detroit after throwing a pitch in the fourth inning.
CUETO QUESTIONABLE: The Reds aren't sure whether right-hander Johnny Cueto will be able to start as planned on Tuesday because of a blister on the index finger of his pitching hand.
The first-place Reds aren't used to worrying about a starter. Cincinnati has used only five different starters, the first time in modern franchise history that it's gone this deep into the season with its rotation intact.
Cueto was supposed to start on Sunday night against the St. Louis Cardinals, but was pushed back two days after he developed the blister during a bullpen session. The current plan is to have Cueto pitch against Arizona on Tuesday.
Manager Dusty Baker was waiting to see how Cueto's finger responds to treatment before deciding whether to consider other options for next Tuesday's game.
ASTROS SHELVE LOWRIE, CASTRO: The Houston Astros placed infielder Jed Lowrie and catcher Jason Castro on the disabled list on Sunday.
Lowrie was injured during a collision at second base in the third inning of Houston's 12-inning 3-2 loss to the San Francisco Giants on Saturday. Lowrie suffered a sprained right ankle and damaged a nerve in his right leg.
Castro has been bothered by soreness in his right leg, the same one he had surgery on in March 2011. Astros manager Brad Mills had hoped Castro could avoid the DL and previously talked about the possibility of putting him in the lineup Sunday before the team decided to make the move.
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 127
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 50
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14