Baltimore placed Hammel on the 15-day disabled list Sunday.
Hammel's knee has been bothering him since May, but the injury became more serious Friday night when he was forced to leave a game against Detroit after throwing a pitch in the fourth inning.
CUETO QUESTIONABLE: The Reds aren't sure whether right-hander Johnny Cueto will be able to start as planned on Tuesday because of a blister on the index finger of his pitching hand.
The first-place Reds aren't used to worrying about a starter. Cincinnati has used only five different starters, the first time in modern franchise history that it's gone this deep into the season with its rotation intact.
Cueto was supposed to start on Sunday night against the St. Louis Cardinals, but was pushed back two days after he developed the blister during a bullpen session. The current plan is to have Cueto pitch against Arizona on Tuesday.
Manager Dusty Baker was waiting to see how Cueto's finger responds to treatment before deciding whether to consider other options for next Tuesday's game.
ASTROS SHELVE LOWRIE, CASTRO: The Houston Astros placed infielder Jed Lowrie and catcher Jason Castro on the disabled list on Sunday.
Lowrie was injured during a collision at second base in the third inning of Houston's 12-inning 3-2 loss to the San Francisco Giants on Saturday. Lowrie suffered a sprained right ankle and damaged a nerve in his right leg.
Castro has been bothered by soreness in his right leg, the same one he had surgery on in March 2011. Astros manager Brad Mills had hoped Castro could avoid the DL and previously talked about the possibility of putting him in the lineup Sunday before the team decided to make the move.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 67
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31