I was first drawn to conservatism because at the time conservatives really were more realistic. Liberals were more concerned with being ideologically pure, and doing things for the right reasons. Conservatives were better at crafting solutions that worked. They were more inclined to measure means against ends, and use empirical observations to asses the success of their programs and policies.
Unfortunately, times have changed, and the conservatives are now the ones who do things for reasons of ideological purity instead of because they work. Perhaps it came about because of the capture of the Republican Party by the religious right, because they are now dominated by people who believe in magical thinking. Conservative parties in foreign countries have not experienced a similar shift.
If I were a European, I would certainly vote conservative, but I simply can't do it here until conservatism returns to what it used to be.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 27
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 15
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14