NEWPORT, R.I. — Jennifer Capriati's tennis career — and her teenage life — took a number of twists and turns.
She started as a teenage prodigy, was later sidetracked with off-court troubles, rebounded to become a three-time Grand Slam champion and, now, her journey is complete with her induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Capriati and several others were inducted into the Hall during a 90-minute ceremony Saturday.
Joining Capriati were recently retired player Gustavo Kuerten, master player Manuel Orantes, tennis industry executive Mike Davies and wheelchair champion Randy Snow, who was honored posthumously.
In a tear-filled acceptance speech, the 36-year old Capriati remembered her great moments in the game and touched on some of her troubles off the court.
Capriati was presented by 2009 Hall of Fame inductee Monica Seles.
"I still managed to overcome some adversity, win a Gold Medal, win some Grand Slams and stand at the podium at the Hall of Fame," said Capriati, breaking into tears during her acceptance speech. "This is one milestone I thought I'd never achieve."
She now feels as though her tennis career is fulfilled.
"It's been quite a journey," Capriati said at a morning press conference.
The highlight match of her career — and maybe one of the top performances in the game — was the 2002 Australian Open when she trailed Hingis 4-6, 0-4 before rallying to a three-set victory.
She won a gold medal for the United States at Barcelona in 1992. Her career ended in 2004 with a 430-176 record.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19