CANCUN, Mexico — Mexican police arrested one of the U.S. Marshals Service's most-wanted fugitives in the resort city of Cancun, after 24 years on the run.
Suspect Vincent Legrend Walters is wanted in San Diego, California, on murder charges in the 1988 killing of a woman kidnapped as part of a drug deal. He also faces weapons and drug charges and is on the service's list of 15 most wanted fugitives.
The Marshals Service said Walters had been living in Cancun under the assumed name of Oscar Rivera and was working at the Cancun international airport. The service said he was arrested Friday and had been taken to Mexico City to await extradition procedures. While Walters was using an assumed name, the Marshals Service said he "had boasted to people that he was a fugitive from San Diego and wanted by the U.S. Marshals Service."
Walters allegedly bought chemicals to make methamphetamines from undercover Drug Enforcement Administration agents in 1988. An associate handed over the finished meth to a local dealer to hold. The dealer passed them on to yet another man.
When Walters wanted the drugs back, he kidnapped the dealer who had been holding the meth, his friend and the friend's girlfriend, offering the hostages in exchange for the return of the drugs. Two of the hostages were released.
However, the third kidnap victims, the girlfriend, died because she had been gagged with a chemical-soaked rag. Walter's brother Martin was convicted in the kidnapping and murder and is serving 25 years to life in prison.
"Thanks to the hard work of our deputy U.S. marshals, local law enforcement and Mexican law enforcement partners, we were able to bring Walters in to face the consequences for his laundry list of accused crimes.," said David Harlow, assistant director of the U.S. Marshals Service's Investigative Operations Division.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- Another American hostage at risk by... 12