Suicide bomber kills father-of-the-bride lawmaker at Afghan wedding
KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide bomber blew himself up among guests at a wedding hall Saturday in northern Afghanistan, killing 23 people including a prominent ex-Uzbek warlord turned lawmaker who was the father of the bride.
The attack was the latest to target top figures from the country's minority groups and dealt a blow to efforts to unify ethnic factions amid growing concerns that the country could descend into civil war after foreign combat troops withdraw in 2014.
Ahmad Khan Samangani, an ethnic Uzbek who commanded forces fighting the Soviets in the 1980s and later became a member of parliament, was welcoming guests to his daughter's wedding Saturday morning when the blast ripped through the building in Aybak, the capital of SAmangan province.
Three Afghan security force officials also were among those killed. About 60 other people, including government officials, were wounded in the attack, which left the wedding hall's black-and-white tile floor covered with shattered glass, blood and other debris.
Chairs adorned with pink fabric lay strewn across the site. Dead bodies were piled into the back of Afghan security force vehicles. Afghan Army helicopters ferried some of the wounded from the wedding hall, which has a facade of pillars painted a festive light green and pink.
The bride and groom survived, but never got the chance to exchange vows.
An eyewitness described a gruesome scene after the explosion.
"I came out and saw 40 to 50 people everywhere on the ground — wounded and killed," said Salahuddin, who uses one name which is common in Afghanistan. "I could not exactly count the number of people killed. I could see people with missing legs and body parts all around me."
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Saturday's attack.
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- Calliop, Jag and Tintin: Here's a look at 20...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- What you think of welfare program depends on...
- Adjunct professors unionize for respect and...
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 23
- India government likely to review... 22
- What you think of welfare program... 21
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 16
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 12
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11