Finally, a special award for misuse of "heroism" goes to "Thank You, Sen. McConnell," from the conservative American Future Fund. "Heroes fought and died for our rights," the ad says over stirring music. "It's what makes us Americans." Who's the hero? Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., for opposing a proposed constitutional amendment to allow limits on campaign spending — and potentially put the American Future Fund out of business.
You can find links to these ads at latimes.com/campaign2012. But watching them is only the first step. You owe it to yourself and your fellow voters to see what the fact-checkers say too. My favorite nonpartisan monitoring group is FactCheck.org, but there are others. Don't take your own side's claims as gospel; they're cutting corners too.
Think those ads are bad? This campaign still has almost four months to go. If history is any guide, you ain't seen nothing yet. And when you see something you think is misleading or just plain wrong, please drop me a note.
Doyle McManus is a columnist for The Los Angeles Times. Readers may send him email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letters: Move to the center 37
- Letters: Founders' values 34
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 32
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 29
- Letters: Dismantle IRS 25
- Commentary claims liberals are shocked... 21
- In our opinion: Utah's caucus system... 20
- White House press corps has been turned... 19