Kirk Nieuwenhuis had a two-run single, Scott Hairston drove in a run with a double and Ruben Tejada added a run-scoring single.
Edgin, a left-hander called up from Triple-A Buffalo before the game, entered in the fifth after Miguel Batista loaded the bases with three walks. Edgin struck out pinch-hitter Juan Francisco and Michael Bourn to end the inning.
The Mets couldn't score after loading the bases with no outs in the fifth. Hudson gave up a single to David Wright before walking Ike Davis. Martinez walked Lucas Duda to load the bases before striking out Hairston and Nieuwenhuis and ending the inning on Jose Thole's flyball to center.
Edgin gave up two runs in the sixth. After Jones' two-out homer, Freeman doubled off Edgin and scored on Dan Uggla's single off Ramon Ramirez.
"A very impressive, tough situation for him to come into," Collins said of Edgin. "He just made a mistake to Chipper and Chipper does what Chipper does when you make mistakes."
Pinch-hitter Ronny Cedeno doubled off Braves left-hander Eric O'Flaherty and scored on a single by Andres Torres in the eighth.
Jones' homer left him tied with Mike Schmidt for second place on the career list for most RBIs by third basemen at 1,595. George Brett is first with 1,596.
Jones, who also had a double, has a 14-game hitting streak.
NOTES: A Turner Field power outage in the second inning caused a delay of 16 minutes. ... The Mets did not sign their second-round draft pick, RHP Teddy Stankiewicz of Fort Worth Christian H.S. in Richland Hills, Texas, by Friday's deadline. The Braves didn't sign C Levi Borders, an 11th-round pick from Winter Haven (Fla.) H.S. He is the son of former major league catcher Pat Borders. ... The Braves signed RHP Matt Kimbrel, the younger brother of Atlanta's closer. Matt Kimbrel was a 31st-round pick. ... Mets LF Jason Bay (concussion) was 0-3 with a walk as the designated hitter for Class A St. Lucie at Tampa. ... Collins said closer Frank Francisco, on the DL with a left oblique strain, will not throw on Saturday as had been planned. Collins said Francisco "just didn't feel right." ... The Mets said RHP Dillon Gee, who was placed on the 15-day DL, had successful right shoulder surgery. He could miss the remainder of the season. ... The series continues Saturday as Braves RHP Tommy Hanson faces Mets All-Star RHP R.A. Dickey.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26