'Wicked' defies gravity: Broadway musical coming to Salt Lake City for second time
"This role is the closest I'll get to doing something athletic," she joked. "You feel like you run a marathon every single night."
With 35 major awards to its credit, including a Grammy and three Tony Awards, "Wicked" seems to be running a marathon of its own.
"You know, as a producer, it's not just about dollars like a lot of people think," said Stone, who has produced other Broadway hits in addition to "Wicked," such as "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" and Tony Award-winning "Next to Normal."
"It's really about time," Stone said. "Musicals take many years to develop and you want to feel the time you put in will be worth it."
With the show loved around the world — playing everywhere from Salt Lake City to Holland, San Diego to Seoul — one can assume that the years spent creating "Wicked" were certainly worth it.
But that wasn't Stone's motivation. "Something I learned a couple of years ago: Any time in my career I've done something thinking, 'This is going to be successful,' I fail. Every time I've said, 'I just love this. I'm passionate about these artists and this story; I just know I love it,' the show has worked."
"I've loved 'Wicked' from the beginning," he said. "I thought anything that can entertain me and move me at the same time — that's something I want to be a part of."
If you go ...
What: "Wicked" — the national tour
When: July 18-Aug. 26
Where: Capitol Theatre, Salt Lake City
How much: $55-$195
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Julie Andrews missed NBC's live 'Sound of Music'
- About Utah: After 72 years, Keith Hottinger...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Ballet West's 'Nutcracker' a splendid success
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative or...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 2
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 2