Church of Scientology plans to increase public profile with TV studio
Our take: A religious broadcasting center is the next step planned for the Church of Scientology to help increase the religion's public presence and promote its teachings. After purchasing a $42 million property for the center, located near Los Angeles, the church would be able to better take advantage of the talents of its own famous members, like Tom Cruise and John Travolta, as well as those of other creative types living nearby.
The Church of Scientology, the religion whose followers include actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, plans to start a religious broadcasting center to promote its teachings over TV, radio and the Internet.
The center, located near the church's West Coast headquarters in Hollywood, would occupy the nearly five-acre studio property the church bought last year from Los Angeles public TV station KCET for $42 million. The station would elevate the public profile of a religion that has mostly relied on pamphlets and books by its founder, L. Ron Hubbard, to proselytize for new members.
"The church plans to establish a central media hub for our growing world network of churches and to move into the production of religious television and radio broadcasting," said Karin Pouw, a spokeswoman for Church of Scientology International, in an email.
Read more about Scientology's plans to start a broadcasting center on Reuters.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Church leaders can learn from NFL domestic...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- 10 ideas of what God looks like
- The faith of a father, written in an old journal
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 64
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 16
- New DVD tells story of David... 13
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary... 8
- 5 unusual places of worship 5