NEW YORK — Reggie Jackson says he messed up by disparaging Alex Rodriguez, Gary Carter and other big names in baseball and has been reaching out to make apologies.
Jackson had told Sports Illustrated that Rodriguez's statistics were tainted by the Yankees star's admitted use of performance-enhancing drugs. Jackson also said he didn't see Carter, Kirby Puckett, Phil Niekro, Don Sutton and Jim Rice as Hall of Famers.
Jackson is a special adviser with the New York Yankees. The team released a statement Thursday from the Hall of Fame slugger.
"In trying to convey my feelings about a few issues that I am passionate about, I made the mistake of naming some specific players," Jackson said.
"This was inappropriate and unfair to those players, some of which are very close friends of mine. I think there are ways to speak from the heart without hurting people, and I'm disappointed that I didn't take greater care in expressing my views," he added.
The Yankees had told Jackson to stay away from the clubhouse and team events following his pointed remarks to the magazine, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press earlier this week.
BLUE JAYS SIGN ENCARNACION TO 3-YEAR DEAL: Blue Jays first baseman Edwin Encarnacion, enjoying a breakout performance at the plate, has signed a three-year contract that begins next season.
The $27 million deal announced Thursday includes a $10 million club option for the 2016 season.
The 29-year-old Dominican native is batting .295 with 23 home runs and 58 RBIs.
ELLSBURY COULD REJOIN RED SOX TODAY: Boston Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury could come off the disabled list and rejoin the team today.
Ellsbury has been out since hurting his right shoulder on April 13 while trying to break up a double play.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20