NEW YORK — Reggie Jackson says he messed up by disparaging Alex Rodriguez, Gary Carter and other big names in baseball and has been reaching out to make apologies.
Jackson had told Sports Illustrated that Rodriguez's statistics were tainted by the Yankees star's admitted use of performance-enhancing drugs. Jackson also said he didn't see Carter, Kirby Puckett, Phil Niekro, Don Sutton and Jim Rice as Hall of Famers.
Jackson is a special adviser with the New York Yankees. The team released a statement Thursday from the Hall of Fame slugger.
"In trying to convey my feelings about a few issues that I am passionate about, I made the mistake of naming some specific players," Jackson said.
"This was inappropriate and unfair to those players, some of which are very close friends of mine. I think there are ways to speak from the heart without hurting people, and I'm disappointed that I didn't take greater care in expressing my views," he added.
The Yankees had told Jackson to stay away from the clubhouse and team events following his pointed remarks to the magazine, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press earlier this week.
BLUE JAYS SIGN ENCARNACION TO 3-YEAR DEAL: Blue Jays first baseman Edwin Encarnacion, enjoying a breakout performance at the plate, has signed a three-year contract that begins next season.
The $27 million deal announced Thursday includes a $10 million club option for the 2016 season.
The 29-year-old Dominican native is batting .295 with 23 home runs and 58 RBIs.
ELLSBURY COULD REJOIN RED SOX TODAY: Boston Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury could come off the disabled list and rejoin the team today.
Ellsbury has been out since hurting his right shoulder on April 13 while trying to break up a double play.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25