CLEVELAND — The Browns believe they got a bargain in former Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon.
Cleveland took Gordon in the second round of the NFL's supplemental draft Thursday. He was the only player selected; the Browns must forfeit their second-round pick in the 2013 draft.
Gordon was suspended for marijuana as a junior in 2011 at Baylor. He transferred to Utah, but decided not to play.
He caught 42 passes for 714 yards and seven touchdowns in 2010.
"I don't know if it is risky, that is kind of where we thought he was as a player," Browns general manager Tom Heckert said of spending a second-rounder on Gordon. "Obviously he's a guy who can come in here and be a starter for us and make plays for us.
"We kind of did our homework on him, no question about it. We brought the kid in, I talked to a zillion guys and I couldn't find one guy to say something bad about the kid."
The Browns were one of nearly two dozen teams to attend Gordon's workout this week. He measured at 6-foot-3, 224 pounds and ran the 40 in 4.52 seconds.
NFL FILES GRIEVANCE OVER VILMA LAWSUIT: The NFL has filed a grievance with the players' union asking Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma to drop his defamation lawsuit against Commissioner Roger Goodell.
The league claims Vilma's suit violates the collective bargaining agreement reached last August to end the lockout. A clause in the CBA, which the NFL says the union agreed to, bars NFL Players Association members from suing the league or any clubs.
NFLPA'S COLLUSION ARGUMENT TO BE HEARD SEPT. 6: U.S. District Judge David Doty has agreed to listen to arguments in the NFL Players Association's collusion lawsuit against the league.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed Thursday that the hearing in Doty's federal courtroom in Minneapolis is scheduled for Sept. 6.
The union claims the owners imposed a secret $123 million salary cap during the uncapped 2010 season that cost the players at least $1 billion in lost wages.
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Gonzaga holds off BYU in WCC season-opener
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 35
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 26