SALT LAKE CITY — A play about the life and conversion story of President Wilford Woodruff, fourth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, debuts July 23-24 at the Wilford Woodruff Farmhouse historic site, 1604 S. 500 East, one of President Woodruff's first homes in the Salt Lake Valley (built in 1860).
Performances are July 23 at 7 p.m. and July 24 at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., and the cost is $5 for those 13 and older and it's free for those 12 years old and younger. The audience is invited to tour the farmhouse following each performance.
"Wilford's Conversion" shares experiences of young Wilford from age 10 to 27 (1817-1834). It weaves together several episodes of his early life to offer a portrayal of his personality and spiritual quest based on the biography "Wilford Woodruff: History of His Life and Labors" by Matthias Cowley. The play also depicts lesser-known events from Wilford's life such as: the time Wilford stayed up all night with the body of a neighbor killed by lightning; Wilford's financial loss by the hands of a swindler; and Wilford's near-death experience the day of his baptism
Although it is not a musical, the show features an eight-piece orchestral ensemble. Four members of the ensemble are musicians who also play for the Orchestra at Temple Square. A Speckled Bird Independent Theater project, "Wilford's Conversion" stars Joshua Huss, John Hinckley and Calvin Raines and Written and directed by Karen Findlay. It is not an official production of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- LDS Church confirms women's meeting now part...
- Days before deadline, brain cancer victim may...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Dating coaches address LDS singles' concerns
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a dozen
- Defending the Faith: Doctrine and Covenants...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 37
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a... 20
- LDS Church confirms women's meeting now... 20
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Using faith... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- Defending the Faith: Doctrine and... 15