Will the Orange Bowl kickoff stay at 1 p.m. in the years when one of the national semifinals rotates around to Sun Life Stadium? Stay tuned for whatever TV has to say about the second. ESPN could buy up everything, as usual, and sell the schedule however the network wants.
Oh, and there's always the possibility that the Orange Bowl people could become major players in upcoming negotiations to stage the new national championship final at some point, or at several points, between the end of the 2014 season and the end of the four-team playoff agreement in 2025.
''We still plan on pursuing national championship games," said Larry Wahl, the Orange Bowl's vice president of communications. "The best part is we get to reclaim Jan. 1 as the date for our game, which I think is the preferred date for any college bowl game.
''To be honest, whereas prime time is what everybody looks for in terms of television, the 1 o'clock spot is probably better for South Florida residents and all those going to the games. It gives the opportunity to get home at a reasonable hour, and it's a more optimal spot for families and kids to attend."
Remove that badge of honor, though, for the grade-schooler who could boast that he stayed up to watch the end of the Orange Bowl. Miami's college classic has peeled away another layer of what made it a signature event, and customers will have to decide if the ticket is losing a bit of its special, after-hours appeal, too.
Dave George writes for The Palm Beach Post. Email: dave(underscore)george(at)pbpost.com.
Story Filed By Cox Newspapers
For Use By Clients of the New York Times News Service
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 125
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 80
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 58
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33