Our take: Utah has had its own problems with "Spice," or synthetic marijuana, in the past, leading to a statewide ban on the substance. NPR reports on the difficulties of regulating this popular drug:
This week, President Obama signed a law banning synthetic marijuana and other synthetic drugs. Dozens of states and local governments have already tried to outlaw fake marijuana, which has been blamed for hundreds of emergency room visits and a handful of fatalities.
But the bans have proved largely ineffective, and there are fears that the federal law won't be any different.
What You May Have Missed
In U.S. & World
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- Mitt Romney to update supporters on 2016...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Worker who saw victim's body testifies at...
- After 150 years, Confederate submarine's hull...
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs Hillary...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 66
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 51
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 20
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 13
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12