Christian woman burned by acid feels closer to God after attack in Pakistan
Our take: Julie Aftab was only 16 when she suffered from a life-changing attack while in Pakistan that left her face and internal tissues severely burned. Aftab, who is a Christian, was sprayed with battery acid and then forced to drink it, because her attacker hated Christians, and it caused deep burns internally and externally. Now, 10 years later, and after dozens of surgeries, Aftab says the attack not only brought her closer to God but also pushed her to achieve her dreams noting that, indeed, it changed her life for the better.
When Julie Aftab was 16 years old, a man walked into the office in Pakistan where she worked and asked if she was Christian. When she told him she was, the man sprayed her in the face with battery acid, then grabbed her by the hair, and forced it down her throat burning her esophagus, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Aftab suffered bone-deep burns on her chest, arms and much of the right side of her face.
Now, 10 years and 31 surgeries later, the paper is reporting Aftab has found a new life in Texas, majoring in accounting at the University of Houston-Clear Lake and preparing to take the United States citizenship test this month.
Aided by host parents Lee and Gloria Ervin, the now 26-year-old woman says the attack has cemented her faith even further.
"Those people, they think they did a bad thing to me, but they brought me closer to God," Aftab told the paper. "They helped me fulfill my dreams. I never imagined I could be the person I am today."
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Mormon Mentions: Bryce Harper posts about his...
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment' during...
- In Germany, secular...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 29
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 16
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 11
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- How would you describe God in just one... 10
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 9
- Does Hollywood demean — or... 9