As of last November, Penn State's policies for Clery compliance were still in draft form and had not been implemented, the report found.
U.S. Department of Education said it was still examining whether Penn State violated the Clery Act, but declined to comment on Freeh's report.
Mary Krupa, an 18-year-old Penn State freshman who grew up in State College, said the conclusion that the school's highest officials were derelict in protecting children didn't shake her love of the town or the school.
"The actions of five or six people don't reflect on the hundreds of thousands" of students and faculty who make up the Penn State community, she said while walking through the student union building on campus.
Freeh said he regretted the damage the findings would do to Paterno's "terrific legacy" but there was no attempt to pin the blame on the late coach.
"What my report says is what the evidence and the facts show," he said.
Christian Beveridge, a masonry worker who grew up near Penn State, said the findings will ruin Paterno's legacy but not the closeness that people in town and fans feel for him.
"He built this town," said Beveridge, 40, resting in the shade on campus during a break. "All of his victories, he'll be remembered by everyone in town for a long time, but there will be that hesitation."
Armas reported from Scranton and Scolforo from Harrisburg. Marc Levy in State College, Maryclaire Dale in Philadelphia and Tim Reynolds in Miami contributed to this report.
- Steven Powell will not be released from...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Jury in Arias trial brought to tears by...
- Newtown parents seek more focus on security
- Reactions to abortion murder verdict...
- Invasive or appropriate? 20 questions the IRS...
- 2 brothers with gang ties arrested in La....
- One month later: Boston Marathon victims...
- 'Unprecedented': Obama administration... 27
- Attorney General Eric Holder says he... 21
- Journalists push back against Obama... 21
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Obama slams IRS targeting, defends... 18
- Philadelphia abortion doctor guilty in... 17
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 17
- IRS lacked 'sensitivity' in screenings... 16