Social scientists defend Mark Regnerus' controversial study on same-sex parenting
Our take: Sociologist Mark Regnerus set off a firestorm with his controversial study on same-sex parenting. Published in the July issue of Social Science Research, Regnerus found that young-adult children of parents who have had same-sex relationships are more likely to experience emotional and social problems. The response has largely been negative to the study until June 20 when a group of 18 sociologists posted a defense of Regnerus work.
An influential group of social scientists -- including many who have appeared in CT's pages -- have issued a public statement defending Mark Regnerus's controversial study on same-sex parenting.
Regnerus, a sociologist at the University of Texas at Austin, published a paper in the July issue of Social Science Research that examined "how different are the adult children of parents who have same-sex relationships?" His findings, based on his New Family Structures Study, indicated that young-adult children of parents who have had same-sex relationships are more likely to experience emotional and social problems.
His Slate article published in June drew more than 450 comments and set off a chorus of criticism.
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Elder Perry the sports fan
- LDS missionaries leave Burundi
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Elder L. Tom Perry: An...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- 21 uplifting quotes from Elder L. Tom Perry
- Possible Boy Scout gay leadership... 80
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 46
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to... 46
- Michelle Llewellyn: How can I defend... 41
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 29
- The First Church of Cannabis claims... 24
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Why more young women are leaving church 21