San Bernardino is 3rd California city to file for bankruptcy
Natural gas cheaper in '12, but utility prices may rise
DB's Travels, via Flickr
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — The City Council in San Bernardino voted Tuesday night to seek Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection, making it the third California city in less than two weeks to make the rare move.
The Southern California city of about 210,000 people will also become among the second largest in the nation ever to file for bankruptcy. Stockton, the Northern California city of nearly 300,000, became the biggest when it filed for Chapter 9 on June 28.
The City Council directed the city attorney to make the move during a meeting where administrators explained the dire fiscal circumstances and urged them to choose the bankruptcy option.
"We have an immediate cash flow issue," Interim City Manager Andrea Miller told Mayor Patrick Morris and the seven-member City Council, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Miller said the city faces a budget shortfall of $45.8-million. It has already stopped paying some vendors and may not be able to make payroll over the next three months.
Four council members voted for the authorization, two opposed it and one abstained.
It was not immediately clear when the city planned to file.
Before Stockton, a California city had not filed for bankruptcy since Vallejo in 2008.
Now, with Mammoth Lakes also voting to declare Chapter 9, the state has seen three in two weeks.
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Dave Ramsey says: Face the future with a...
- There's a bipartisan new approach to curbing...
- AT&T, as new owner of DirecTV, offers...
- Michelle Singletary: Reading is fundamental...
- Who wins and loses under Obama's stricter...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- How Facebook plans to change the world with...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 18
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Who wins and loses under Obama's... 13
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- Contractor fined for employing children... 4
- There's a bipartisan new approach to... 3
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2
- US manufacturing growth slows in July 1