Blair's opponent Thursday is a senior at the University of Texas-Arlington, who had a 71.64 stroke average, best on his team. McConnell qualified for this by winning a sectional qualifier at the Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas, with a 6-under 138 over 36 holes.
Blair is favored. This is his home turf, an area he has dominated in the local amateur golf scene all winter and spring.
But golf is golf.
Ask medalist Erkenbeck, who had everything in hand on the No. 18 tee box against Edfort on Wednesday. And lost.
"I just have to stay out of trouble and hope the putter heats up," said Blair.
Once in match play, it's all about winning and advancing.
"It's exciting that this is a huge tournament in our home state and I live just up the road," said Blair.
OK, I take it back.
He is excited.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Utah Jazz: Team is a long shot to win NBA's...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: Logan's Chase Nelson...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 130
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 22
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10