Blair's opponent Thursday is a senior at the University of Texas-Arlington, who had a 71.64 stroke average, best on his team. McConnell qualified for this by winning a sectional qualifier at the Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas, with a 6-under 138 over 36 holes.
Blair is favored. This is his home turf, an area he has dominated in the local amateur golf scene all winter and spring.
But golf is golf.
Ask medalist Erkenbeck, who had everything in hand on the No. 18 tee box against Edfort on Wednesday. And lost.
"I just have to stay out of trouble and hope the putter heats up," said Blair.
Once in match play, it's all about winning and advancing.
"It's exciting that this is a huge tournament in our home state and I live just up the road," said Blair.
OK, I take it back.
He is excited.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34