If finding 'east' is tough, Muslims can use an illuminated prayer mat to light the way
Our take: The religion of Islam requires adherents to pray five times each day, facing their holy city of Mecca, which sits in the east in Saudi Arabia. However, some people may find it difficult to locate which direction is east depending on where they are at prayer time. To help address the confusion, Turkish designer Soner Ozenc has designed an illuminated prayer mat that will light up when facing Mecca. Currently, only two of the mats have been made as Ozenc tries to raise money to mass produce them.
Devout Muslims pray five times a day, facing the holy city of Mecca.
But what if you dont know what direction Mecca is?
Try the new illuminated prayer mat.
Invented by London-based Turkish designer Soner Ozenc, the mat lights up when facing the Saudi city.
Currently, only two prototypes exist, one of which was purchased by the Museum of Modern Art in New York for its show last year on interactive design.
Ozenc is trying to raise $100,000 through Kickstarter.com, the online fundraising tool, to bring the mat into mass production. If he reaches his goal, for $500, donors can expect one of the first mats out of the factory.
There have been no negative comments about it, except that the light is very strong and it could be distracting, said Ozenc. But there is an off button on the side. You just turn it to off.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir members react to...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 253
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 37
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 26
- The spiritual side effects of viewing... 25
- Religious groups react to Boy... 21
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- ... 8
- Sunrise service: Utahns should emulate... 5