If finding 'east' is tough, Muslims can use an illuminated prayer mat to light the way
Our take: The religion of Islam requires adherents to pray five times each day, facing their holy city of Mecca, which sits in the east in Saudi Arabia. However, some people may find it difficult to locate which direction is east depending on where they are at prayer time. To help address the confusion, Turkish designer Soner Ozenc has designed an illuminated prayer mat that will light up when facing Mecca. Currently, only two of the mats have been made as Ozenc tries to raise money to mass produce them.
Devout Muslims pray five times a day, facing the holy city of Mecca.
But what if you dont know what direction Mecca is?
Try the new illuminated prayer mat.
Invented by London-based Turkish designer Soner Ozenc, the mat lights up when facing the Saudi city.
Currently, only two prototypes exist, one of which was purchased by the Museum of Modern Art in New York for its show last year on interactive design.
Ozenc is trying to raise $100,000 through Kickstarter.com, the online fundraising tool, to bring the mat into mass production. If he reaches his goal, for $500, donors can expect one of the first mats out of the factory.
There have been no negative comments about it, except that the light is very strong and it could be distracting, said Ozenc. But there is an off button on the side. You just turn it to off.
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- Why I make my kids go to church
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to unite to...
- LDS Church dedicates Deseret Mill and Pasta...
- LDS university president receives national...
- LDS girl's imagination takes viewers of a new...
- Athletes, artists and LDS apostles: 46...
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: 'Faith, Family and...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 260
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to... 82
- Defending the Faith: Even in science,... 63
- Prophets and presidents: 11 noteworthy... 23
- Why I make my kids go to church 21
- LDS missionaries distribute 2,400... 19
- LDS university president receives... 16
- Number of senior Mormon missionaries... 7