Ravell Call, Deseret News
I am writing to express my opinion about the recently announced Sugar House streetcar Line.
Why do we need it? UTA presently provides bus service to Sugar House. This project is a waste of taxpayer money.
Just because someone has a nostalgic feeling for a streetcar line doesn't make it a viable project. Just because the federal government approved a grant to help fund the project doesn't make it right either.
Consider that this line will have to cross 300 West, State Street, 200 East, 3rd East, 500 East, 700 East and 900 East with crossing arms, lights and bells, let alone the traffic delays and potential for accidents.
The existing bus service is sufficient.
Bryce A. Merkley
Salt Lake City
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- Letters: Move to the center
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should keep up...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- In our opinion: Susan Cox Powell's case is...
- Timothy R. Clark: Real job creation requires...
- Search for extraterrestrial life goes on,...
- Comprehensive immigration reform or bust
- Letters: No welfare, ever 73
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Letters: Move to the center 31
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 31
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 27
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 26
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21