Whatever the case may be, the game has evolved into the state's biggest sporting event and one many on both sides want to preserve.
"BYU not playing Utah, to me that's a major mistake," former Ute coach Urban Meyer said recently. "You have a lot of former players, student bodies, alumni, that's part of their heritage."
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, who led the Utes to national prominence in 2004, also weighed in.
"As close as those schools are," he said, "you have to play that game."
Reaction to Tuesday's news that a two-year hiatus is approaching drew significant fan responses on local sports radio shows and the Internet. While some folks are hopeful the break will temper down what has become one of the nation's most-heated rivalries, many more were critical of Hill's decision not to keep the game going on an annual basis. The only previous interruption in the series since 1922 was during World War II.
In other scheduling news, Hill said that Utah has bought out a scheduled trip to Utah State in 2014 — leaving this September's game as the last contractually agreed upon meeting in Logan. The Utes and Aggies, though, are slated to play in Salt Lake City in 2013 and 2015.
The 109-game football rivalry is coming off a break of its own. Utah and Utah State haven't played each other since 2009.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42