City of Phoenix shuts down Bible study, puts leader in jail for teaching
Our take: Phoenix resident Michael Salman is getting ready to serve 60 days in jail for refusing to stop hosting Bible studies in his home. He is also expected to pay a $12,000 fine and will face three years of probation for violating his city's building codes. Calling Salman's Bible studies "reminiscent of a home church", the city of Phoenix is cracking down on the religious practices that Salman argues are part of his rights within the confines of his private home.
Weve told you before about government regulations hampering home Bible studies, but this story is even more pervasive, perplexing and complicated than the others. Michael Salman, who lives in Phoenix, Ariz., has been sentenced to a startling 60 days in jail, given a $12,180 fine and granted three years probation for refusing to stop hosting Bible studies at his home. Why, you ask? Hes apparently in violation of the citys building code laws.
City officials claim that hes running an operation that is reminiscent of a home church but without the required permits. And according to Foxs Todd Starnes, Phoenix court documents show that he violated 67 codes. Unless the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals grants an emergency injunction, he will be jailed as early as next week.
Naturally, Salman believes the courts findings amount to a crackdown on faith and religion. The city maintains that the penalties are legitimate based on the zoning laws he and his family have violated. However, Starnes was apparently unable to reach the Phoenix prosecutors office, the mayors office or code enforcement to obtain further comment.
- LDS First Presidency calls 8 new MTC presidents
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'...
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides...
- Elder Oaks gives special Thanksgiving...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- A lesson a little girl learned while seeing...
- The effect of having a widow's mite of faith
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- A lesson a little girl learned while... 4
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'... 4
- The most grateful religions in America,... 2
- Pope Francis brings peace message to... 1
- Book review: 'Understanding the... 1
- 'Music and the Spoken Word': When... 1