COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — U.S. national team goalkeeper Hope Solo received a public warning Monday from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency on Monday after she tested positive for the banned substance Canrenone in a urine test.
Solo has accepted the warning and will still play for the United States in the Olympic tournament.
The 30-year-old Solo tested positive for Canrenone in a test on June 15.
"I took a medication prescribed by my personal doctor for pre-menstrual purposes that I did not know contained a diuretic," Solo said in a statement. "Once informed of this fact, I immediately cooperated with USADA and shared with them everything they needed to properly conclude that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way."
Canrenone is classified as a specified substance, so its presence in an athlete's sample can result in a reduced sanction.
"As someone who believes in clean sport, I am glad to have worked with USADA to resolve this matter and I look forward to representing my country at the 2012 Olympic Games in London," she said.
A recent semifinalist on "Dancing With The Stars," Solo has been the regular U.S. keeper for nearly six years and backstopped the Americans to the 2008 gold medal in Beijing with some spectacular performances.
Considered one of the world's top keepers, she helped the Americans to a second-place finish in last year's World Cup, only a penalty kicks shootout loss to Japan denying Solo her first World Cup title.
She helped the Americans reach the semifinals of the 2007 World Cup. But she was benched by coach Greg Ryan against Brazil for veteran Briana Scurry, a hero of the 1999 world champions. Scurry was rusty, the United States was routed 4-0, and Solo criticized Ryan's move.
Ryan dismissed Solo from the World Cup team.
Pia Sundhage soon took over as coach and Solo has remained her top goalkeeper since.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25