Chief Justice John Roberts made the wrong decision about Obamacare, in my opinion. However, either intentionally or inadvertently, he has backed President Obama into a corner from which it will be much harder for him to be re-elected.
First, by siding with the liberal wing of the court, he has obliterated the "conservative judicial activism" argument liberals were waiting to use to explain the overturn of Obamacare. This also destroys the argument that Obama needs to be re-elected to be in a position to appoint "unbiased" (liberal) justices to the court in the future.
Second, by declaring the mandate to purchase insurance and the penalty for not purchasing it a tax, he has highlighted that all of the previous statements by Obama and liberal lawmakers to the contrary are completely false. These statements will be contrasted with the tax increases included in Obamacare and played over and over again until election day.
Last, he has made clear that the only option remaining to get rid of Obamacare is to replace Obama and lawmakers who voted for this unpopular law, then repeal it.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 26
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 18
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13