Do it yourself. The Internet is also full of inexpensive (and fun) ideas for creating your own decor for the reception.
Pick days and venues in the off-season when prices are cheaper.
Get a friend to make a wedding cake as a wedding gift.
Use social media to keep people up to date on wedding plans and searches for less-expensive alternatives.
Both Bell and Schneider balked at the $27,000 average cost of a wedding. Bell thinks the figure may be due to some brides feeling pressure to compete with their friends, and he calls it a wake-up call to parents who may need to pay for their daughter's dream.
Schneider, however, said couples shouldn't give into pressure. "Think about what $27,000 can buy," she said. "You wouldn't ever consider spending that much money on any other party. Ever. Only for weddings do we think that is normal. And it is not normal. $27,000 is a down payment on a house. It is a brand new car. It's four years of public college at a state school. It's insane to spend that much money on a wedding."
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- The Draw at Sugar House unveiled
- Deseret News National Edition seeing rapid...
- Convention hotel bill passes Utah Legislature
- Houweling's Tomatoes to build Juab County...
- Utah-based company to promote U.S. on grand...
- Legislature says 'go' on convention hotel,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 22
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 19
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Official: Obama to push for more... 7
- Commuter rail travel increased from... 7
- White House promotes economic issues... 5
- Europe: You can't use the name Parmesan... 4