Our take: The religion of Islam is growing faster than any other religion in San Diego, according to a new census. Currently there are 21,994 Muslims in that area, which makes it the seventh-largest religion in the U.S. Much of the growth is attributed to the immigration of Somali, Iraqi, Afghani and Bosnian refugees as well as to conversions within the U.S. and births.
A new census has found that Islam is the fastest growing in the second-most-populous county in California, an increase that has brought new challenges to the Muslim minority in the United States.
Of course, as we say there is no gain without pain, Abdel Jalil Mezgouri, imam of the Islamic Center of San Diego, told U-T San Diego newspaper.
The culture is becoming very, very diverse and also some of them have the challenge of adapting with the new place and the language, especially.
A new census for religious groups in the United States has found that Islam is the fastest-growing faith in San Diego County, the second-most-populous county in California.
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides...
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Public invited to funeral services for Sister...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Woman told she would never walk, talk defies...
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 31
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 25
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 23
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 22
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 22
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17
- Hundreds of teens in Southern... 12
- Public invited to funeral services for... 9