"In summer league, you get a chance to see some of the top rookies, along with a few veteran guys, so that when these guys come into veteran camp later this year, where you've got all the superstar guys, you've got a better chance to think and run our plays.
"Sure, we'd like to win these games," Corbin said, "but the most important thing for these guys right now is understanding the system, learning how we do things, and for us to see how they develop and see what they need to work on before veteran camp starts. We get a chance to see what they need to do to compete at this level, and they get an opportunity to play at a higher level and see the speed of game."
Corbin said the summer league always proves to be a great learning experience — especially for those NBA newcomers who haven't played at this level before.
"Across the board, no matter whether you're a guard, a forward or a center, the guys they're going to go up against now are always bigger and faster than all the guys they've ever played against up to this point in their careers," the Jazz head coach said.
Along with 6-foot-6 swingman Burks (7.2 points per game last season) and 6-11 center Kanter (4.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game as a rookie), other players who spent part of last season with the Jazz "varsity" ballclub include 6-8 forward DeMarre Carroll and 6-3 guard Blake Ahearn.
And Murphy, a 6-6 sharpshooter out of Tennessee Tech who was taken with the 47th overall pick in last month's draft, will get his first taste of NBA-type basketball.
Two other names on the summer league roster that will be noticeably familiar to Jazz fans are Millsap and Stockton — but in this case, it's John Millsap, a 6-6 forward who's the older brother of veteran Jazz forward Paul Millsap; and Michael Stockton, a 6-1 point guard out of Westminster College whose dad, John, you might've heard of — especially since he's the NBA's career leader in assists and steals and ranks among the greatest Jazz and NBA players of all time.
2012 ORLANDO PRO SUMMER LEAGUE
UTAH JAZZ SCHEDULE
Monday, July 9 vs. Detroit, 1 p.m.
Tuesday, July 10 vs. Philadelphia, 9 a.m.
Wednesday, July 11 vs. Orlando, 3 p.m.
Thursday, July 12 vs. Indiana, 1 p.m.
Friday, July 13 vs. Oklahoma City, 6 a.m.
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might hear...
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC Dec. 3 at...
- Video: Former Ute Steve Smith takes teen with...
- BYU football announces full spring fireside...
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- Ones that got away: Players who left the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 61
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 42
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 13
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars close out... 12
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 11