He took the formal oath the next day before the Supreme Constitutional Court and again at Cairo University before hundreds of his supporters, including many of the dissolved legislature's lawmakers. In his inauguration speeches Morsi hinted at his displeasure over parliament's dissolution and his own diminished powers, pointedly seating the speaker of the disbanded parliament, Saad el-Katatni of the Brotherhood, in the front row during the Cairo University ceremony.
Several hundred Morsi supporters gathered in Tahrir on Sunday night to celebrate his decision.
Morsi's move to reopen parliament came just hours after a meeting in Cairo with a senior U.S. official, who delivered a message from President Barack Obama assuring him of America's commitment to a "new partnership" with Egypt.
White House officials said Obama hoped to meet with Morsi during the United Nations General Assembly meetings in New York in September.
U.S. Deputy Secretary of State William Burns told reporters that Egyptians could rely on U.S. support as they try to realize their aspirations.
"Egyptians know far better than we do that their aspirations are not yet fully realized, but they can count on America's partnership on the complicated road ahead," Burns said.
Obama also invited Morsi for talks in the White House in September, Egypt's state television said.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- South at heart of close fight to control US...
- Final words from jet came after comms systems...
- Vanished plane flew for more than six hours...
- Utah National Guard's 142nd Military...
- Missing heroines: Why Hollywood believes only...
- States explore free community college
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- British judge hears arguments in case... 66
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- Student who sued parents to get them to... 21
- States explore free community college 17
- President Obama calls for a... 15
- Obama says health care program is stable 14
- Senate investigation of CIA dogged by... 9
- Deadline fast approaching for... 9