Seth Wenig, Associated Press
By framing the issue of illegal immigration in Utah as one of ethnic demographics and skin color — instead of acknowledging that it really is about culture, values and choices — the Deseret News, in its "Coming to our Census" series, effectively sets up the readership so that if it doesn't "come to its senses" and embrace the "changing demographics" of Utah, it is selfish, irresponsible, and racist.
Of course readers' concerns have nothing to do with the contempt illegal immigrants demonstrate for the principles upon which the country was founded — including respect for the rule of law — and the hazards such contempt poses for the unity, integrity and well-being of the country. After all, implies the newspaper, the illegal invasion of America is no different than any "successive wave of new Americans." The message is false.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Letter: Society puzzles
- Equality in family life does not mean sameness
- Michael Gerson: State of Israel: History...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 37
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 30