Seth Wenig, Associated Press
By framing the issue of illegal immigration in Utah as one of ethnic demographics and skin color — instead of acknowledging that it really is about culture, values and choices — the Deseret News, in its "Coming to our Census" series, effectively sets up the readership so that if it doesn't "come to its senses" and embrace the "changing demographics" of Utah, it is selfish, irresponsible, and racist.
Of course readers' concerns have nothing to do with the contempt illegal immigrants demonstrate for the principles upon which the country was founded — including respect for the rule of law — and the hazards such contempt poses for the unity, integrity and well-being of the country. After all, implies the newspaper, the illegal invasion of America is no different than any "successive wave of new Americans." The message is false.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 115
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 50
- Capitalism and the common good:... 41
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36