Seth Wenig, Associated Press
By framing the issue of illegal immigration in Utah as one of ethnic demographics and skin color — instead of acknowledging that it really is about culture, values and choices — the Deseret News, in its "Coming to our Census" series, effectively sets up the readership so that if it doesn't "come to its senses" and embrace the "changing demographics" of Utah, it is selfish, irresponsible, and racist.
Of course readers' concerns have nothing to do with the contempt illegal immigrants demonstrate for the principles upon which the country was founded — including respect for the rule of law — and the hazards such contempt poses for the unity, integrity and well-being of the country. After all, implies the newspaper, the illegal invasion of America is no different than any "successive wave of new Americans." The message is false.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Timothy R. Clark: Graduation advice for my...
- Letters: Threats justified
- Snapshot of 2013 in political cartoons
- My view: Nothing sinister about Common Core
- State pensions threaten to bleed states dry
- In our opinion: New leader in Iran, but...
- In our opinion: Limit the power of the...
- Letters: Stop the witch hunt 35
- John Florez: Show leadership on... 31
- Supreme Court, Congress, citizens: The... 27
- Letter: Media failure 25
- Robert Bennett: Sticking to facts is... 23
- Letters: Threats justified 23
- In our opinion: Limit the power of the... 18
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 17