Seth Wenig, Associated Press
By framing the issue of illegal immigration in Utah as one of ethnic demographics and skin color — instead of acknowledging that it really is about culture, values and choices — the Deseret News, in its "Coming to our Census" series, effectively sets up the readership so that if it doesn't "come to its senses" and embrace the "changing demographics" of Utah, it is selfish, irresponsible, and racist.
Of course readers' concerns have nothing to do with the contempt illegal immigrants demonstrate for the principles upon which the country was founded — including respect for the rule of law — and the hazards such contempt poses for the unity, integrity and well-being of the country. After all, implies the newspaper, the illegal invasion of America is no different than any "successive wave of new Americans." The message is false.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- My view: History reveals some correct beliefs...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Long-term...
- In our opinion: Liberal arts vs STEM...
- Drew Clark: After 50 years, Moore's Law...
- Letter: Next president?
- In our opinion: Fabricated Rolling Stone...
- John Florez: America's strength is its...
- Ralph Hancock: Religious freedom and... 75
- Letter: Wrong wage approach 47
- Letter: No more hungry kids 41
- Kathleen Parker: Hillary Clinton's... 40
- Greg Bell: The problem of being a... 40
- Utah's 'grand bargain' stands in sharp... 34
- Letter: Unemployment compensation 33
- Mike Noel: Utah leads out on win-win... 28