Seth Wenig, Associated Press
By framing the issue of illegal immigration in Utah as one of ethnic demographics and skin color — instead of acknowledging that it really is about culture, values and choices — the Deseret News, in its "Coming to our Census" series, effectively sets up the readership so that if it doesn't "come to its senses" and embrace the "changing demographics" of Utah, it is selfish, irresponsible, and racist.
Of course readers' concerns have nothing to do with the contempt illegal immigrants demonstrate for the principles upon which the country was founded — including respect for the rule of law — and the hazards such contempt poses for the unity, integrity and well-being of the country. After all, implies the newspaper, the illegal invasion of America is no different than any "successive wave of new Americans." The message is false.
Salt Lake City
- Ralph Hancock: 'Reason' is difficult to...
- In our opinion: The breach between mass...
- Letter: Removing rights
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- David Blankenhorn: Overcoming the blindness...
- Letter: Excess political science
- Drew Clark: Deeply felt religious faith, of...
- Letter: We deserve better
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second... 91
- In our opinion: The breach between mass... 59
- Letter: Greater security 51
- Letter: Removing rights 39
- Letter: Excess political science 34
- Letter: Our French Revolution 31
- Ralph Hancock: 'Reason' is difficult to... 29
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil... 26