Singer Cher takes heat for declaring admiration for Joel Osteen
Our take: Pop singer Cher lit up Twitter by declaring her admiration for Joel Osteen, pastor of the Lakewood Church in Texas, and has taken a number of hits from the gay community because of Osteen's public stance on homosexuality as a sin. Cher, who has become a figure of celebrity support for the LGBT community, called Osteen "cool", "upbeat" and "not preachy."
World-renowned pop star and actress Cher took to Twitter Monday night to sing her praises for inspirational speaker and pastor Joel Osteen, sparking a media frenzy by her large gay fan base, who challenge Osteen's belief that homosexuality is a sin.
"I love Joel Osteen, hes example of Christian! He makes Every1 feel welcome 2 his church no matter who they R!1st book like this I ever bought," Cher wrote, referencing one of Osteen's several inspirational books relating to spiritual guidance.
"I know this Sounds CRAZY Coming From ME,But he'Cool,UpBeat,wants u 2 have Fun,He'sFunny & Not Preachy! don't care if ppl think I'm UnCool!" She added shortly after.
One of Cher's fans then tweeted the famous singer, reminding her that Joel Osteen, an evangelical Christian, believes homosexuality is a sin.
Read more about Cher taking heat from fans for praising Joel Osteen on The Christian Post.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 11 things you should know about the... 80
- General Women's Session focuses on... 32
- The challenges and blessings of... 27
- State bills to protect religious... 25
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 15