Singer Cher takes heat for declaring admiration for Joel Osteen
Our take: Pop singer Cher lit up Twitter by declaring her admiration for Joel Osteen, pastor of the Lakewood Church in Texas, and has taken a number of hits from the gay community because of Osteen's public stance on homosexuality as a sin. Cher, who has become a figure of celebrity support for the LGBT community, called Osteen "cool", "upbeat" and "not preachy."
World-renowned pop star and actress Cher took to Twitter Monday night to sing her praises for inspirational speaker and pastor Joel Osteen, sparking a media frenzy by her large gay fan base, who challenge Osteen's belief that homosexuality is a sin.
"I love Joel Osteen, hes example of Christian! He makes Every1 feel welcome 2 his church no matter who they R!1st book like this I ever bought," Cher wrote, referencing one of Osteen's several inspirational books relating to spiritual guidance.
"I know this Sounds CRAZY Coming From ME,But he'Cool,UpBeat,wants u 2 have Fun,He'sFunny & Not Preachy! don't care if ppl think I'm UnCool!" She added shortly after.
One of Cher's fans then tweeted the famous singer, reminding her that Joel Osteen, an evangelical Christian, believes homosexuality is a sin.
Read more about Cher taking heat from fans for praising Joel Osteen on The Christian Post.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 65
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 8
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3