Now that it will be required for every American to purchase health insurance or pay the mandated fee, why don't we just cut out the middle man (insurance companies) and dump our health care system for a better one.
Most studies agree that France has the best health care system in the world. In their system, patients pay for about 30 percent of doctor's visits and less for surgeries, pregnancies and other medical expenses. The rest is paid for by taxes. Their citizens can choose to use private insurance for their health care or as a second insurance to cover the gap. Doctors aren't paid more for running extra tests or prescribing expensive drugs. Doctors are given bonuses for helping patients lose weight and quit smoking. They treat things before they become major problems.
Yes, their doctors and nurses are paid less, but they also receive free secondary education and many other benefits. Their health care costs per capita are about half of the United States. They live longer, have lower disability and chronic illnesses and rate their own satisfaction with their health care system much higher than Americans. This is what I want for my family. How about you?
Crystal K. Kayser
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme Court...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: How Alex Boye's...
- In our opinion: Repairing Salt Lake City streets
- Arthur Cyr: North Korea’s leaders...
- George F. Will: Britain at the crossroads
- In our opinion: Transitioning from coal to...
- My view: The one thing that could solve...
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 53
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 46
- In our opinion: Transitioning from coal... 27
- My view: Character still matters in... 25
- Michael Gerson: The Trump train is... 25
- Mia Love: America's soldiers are... 23
- Letter: Obama visits Hiroshima 21
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 20