Now that it will be required for every American to purchase health insurance or pay the mandated fee, why don't we just cut out the middle man (insurance companies) and dump our health care system for a better one.
Most studies agree that France has the best health care system in the world. In their system, patients pay for about 30 percent of doctor's visits and less for surgeries, pregnancies and other medical expenses. The rest is paid for by taxes. Their citizens can choose to use private insurance for their health care or as a second insurance to cover the gap. Doctors aren't paid more for running extra tests or prescribing expensive drugs. Doctors are given bonuses for helping patients lose weight and quit smoking. They treat things before they become major problems.
Yes, their doctors and nurses are paid less, but they also receive free secondary education and many other benefits. Their health care costs per capita are about half of the United States. They live longer, have lower disability and chronic illnesses and rate their own satisfaction with their health care system much higher than Americans. This is what I want for my family. How about you?
Crystal K. Kayser
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 31
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 28
- My view: More whites should practice... 23
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 17
- Letter: Acting presidential 17