Real Salt Lake, Seattle Sounders battle to Independence Day draw
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SANDY — There were two ways of looking at Real Salt Lake's scoreless draw with Seattle in front of a sell-out crowd of 20,363 at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday night.
From a glass half-full perspective, earning a shutout at home for the first time since April 7 was a big step forward. Doing it with two new defenders in the startling lineup was even more impressive.
Conversely though, despite earning the much-needed point, RSL's winless streak now stands at four straight after it failed to beat an opponent that hasnt won a game since early May.
Regardless of fans' perspective, you can bet coach Jason Kreis is looking at things from a glass half-full perspective.
Real Salt Lake still sits comfortably in second place in the Western Conference standings with the draw, four points clear of third-place Vancouver and six points clear of Seattle.
RSL had plenty of chances to pick up the full three points though, dominating the match throughout. Despite the 65-35 percent edge in possession and an 11-7 edge in shots, it couldn't sneak anything past Seattle keeper Bryan Meredith.
The result was yet another frustrating Independence Day performance for RSL.
MLS has been very kind to Real Salt Lake through the years allowing it to host matches on and around the Fourth of July every year. The fireworks show afterward is usually the only things fans have to be excited about. RSL's record in those eight matches now stands at 1-1-6.
Kreis tweaked his starting lineup for Wednesday's match against struggling Seattle, awarding newcomers Kenny Mansally and Kwame Watson-Siriboe their first start with their new team. Both played well in helping Real Salt Lake earn its first home shutout in quite a while.
RSL returns to action this Saturday at home against Portland.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 19