Real Salt Lake, Seattle Sounders battle to Independence Day draw
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SANDY — There were two ways of looking at Real Salt Lake's scoreless draw with Seattle in front of a sell-out crowd of 20,363 at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday night.
From a glass half-full perspective, earning a shutout at home for the first time since April 7 was a big step forward. Doing it with two new defenders in the startling lineup was even more impressive.
Conversely though, despite earning the much-needed point, RSL's winless streak now stands at four straight after it failed to beat an opponent that hasnt won a game since early May.
Regardless of fans' perspective, you can bet coach Jason Kreis is looking at things from a glass half-full perspective.
Real Salt Lake still sits comfortably in second place in the Western Conference standings with the draw, four points clear of third-place Vancouver and six points clear of Seattle.
RSL had plenty of chances to pick up the full three points though, dominating the match throughout. Despite the 65-35 percent edge in possession and an 11-7 edge in shots, it couldn't sneak anything past Seattle keeper Bryan Meredith.
The result was yet another frustrating Independence Day performance for RSL.
MLS has been very kind to Real Salt Lake through the years allowing it to host matches on and around the Fourth of July every year. The fireworks show afterward is usually the only things fans have to be excited about. RSL's record in those eight matches now stands at 1-1-6.
Kreis tweaked his starting lineup for Wednesday's match against struggling Seattle, awarding newcomers Kenny Mansally and Kwame Watson-Siriboe their first start with their new team. Both played well in helping Real Salt Lake earn its first home shutout in quite a while.
RSL returns to action this Saturday at home against Portland.
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The resurrection of...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 98
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24