The Houston Astros traded slugger Carlos Lee to the Miami Marlins on Wednesday in exchange for a pair of prospects.
The Astros acquired third baseman Matt Dominguez and left-handed pitcher Rob Rasmussen in the deal.
The 36-year-old Lee spent five-plus seasons with the Astros and is hitting .287 with five homers and 29 RBI in 65 games this year.
Houston manager Brad Mills removed Lee in the seventh inning of a 6-4 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday. Lee's locker was already empty by the time the clubhouse opened after the game.
The right-hander gives the Marlins a veteran hitter as they try to get back into the race in the NL East. First base has been a problem for Miami this season, where regular Gaby Sanchez is hitting .194 with two homers and 16 RBIs.
ORTIZ REACHES MILESTONE: Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has hit his 400th career home run, a leadoff drive to right in the fourth inning against Oakland's A.J. Griffin.
The 36-year-old Big Papi's home runs rank eighth among active players and 49th on the all-time list. Next up for him to catch: Hall of Famer Duke Snider with 407.
His 22nd home run of the season for Boston tied the game 1-all Wednesday. Ortiz's 352 home runs and 1,142 RBIs as a designated hitter are most all-time.
DODGERS' ETHIER ON DL: Andre Ethier went on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with a strained left oblique, leaving the struggling Los Angeles Dodgers without two of their All-Star outfielders. Matt Kemp has been out since May 30.
Ethier's move was retroactive to June 28.
SHEETS PITCHING AGAIN: Ben Sheets gave up four runs in five innings for the Double-A Mississippi Braves in his first professional appearance in nearly two years. The veteran right-hander gave up two runs in both the first and second innings, but settled down after that, retiring 10 in a row to end his outing. He struck out six and walked one.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24