The Houston Astros traded slugger Carlos Lee to the Miami Marlins on Wednesday in exchange for a pair of prospects.
The Astros acquired third baseman Matt Dominguez and left-handed pitcher Rob Rasmussen in the deal.
The 36-year-old Lee spent five-plus seasons with the Astros and is hitting .287 with five homers and 29 RBI in 65 games this year.
Houston manager Brad Mills removed Lee in the seventh inning of a 6-4 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday. Lee's locker was already empty by the time the clubhouse opened after the game.
The right-hander gives the Marlins a veteran hitter as they try to get back into the race in the NL East. First base has been a problem for Miami this season, where regular Gaby Sanchez is hitting .194 with two homers and 16 RBIs.
ORTIZ REACHES MILESTONE: Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has hit his 400th career home run, a leadoff drive to right in the fourth inning against Oakland's A.J. Griffin.
The 36-year-old Big Papi's home runs rank eighth among active players and 49th on the all-time list. Next up for him to catch: Hall of Famer Duke Snider with 407.
His 22nd home run of the season for Boston tied the game 1-all Wednesday. Ortiz's 352 home runs and 1,142 RBIs as a designated hitter are most all-time.
DODGERS' ETHIER ON DL: Andre Ethier went on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with a strained left oblique, leaving the struggling Los Angeles Dodgers without two of their All-Star outfielders. Matt Kemp has been out since May 30.
Ethier's move was retroactive to June 28.
SHEETS PITCHING AGAIN: Ben Sheets gave up four runs in five innings for the Double-A Mississippi Braves in his first professional appearance in nearly two years. The veteran right-hander gave up two runs in both the first and second innings, but settled down after that, retiring 10 in a row to end his outing. He struck out six and walked one.
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Nerves? Not for Alec Burks, Utah Jazz going...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 27
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 25
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21