DENVER — Six Air Force C-130 tankers will resume firefighting flights Tuesday after a deadly crash of another tanker plane over the weekend, the U.S. Northern Command said.
The entire remaining fleet of seven planes was grounded after one of the specially equipped C-130s crashed Sunday while fighting a wildfire in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
The C-130 was from an Air National Guard wing based in Charlotte, N.C., and was carrying a crew of six. At least two crew members died and others were injured.
Northern Command, which oversees the planes while they are on firefighting duty, said the one-day suspension of flights was to review safety procedures.
A second C-130 from the North Carolina Air National Guard will return to its home base in Charlotte, said Maj. Kimberly Holman, a Northern Command spokeswoman.
The decision to suspend the C-130 flights left just 14 federally contracted heavy tankers in use during one of the busiest and most destructive wildfire seasons ever to hit the West.
Military officials declined to discuss details of the crash, but they said there were some crew members who were being treated for serious injuries at a hospital in Rapid City, S.D.
South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard announced Tuesday that two people had died in the crash. He didn't identify either victim.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Small town residents: Chevron pizza 'scandal'...
- Half of millennials more likely to lean...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- Russian President Vladimir Putin declares...
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 12
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10