TUCSON, Ariz. — The Bees jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second inning, but could not hang on as the Tucson Padres rallied for a 10-6 win over Salt Lake on Sunday night.
Matt Long put the Bees in front with a two-run triple and later scored on a wild pitch. Tucson came back with two in the second off of Angels' pitcher Jerome Williams, who was with Salt Lake on a Major League injury rehab assignment.
In the third, a single and error put two runners on base before Anthony Contreras singled in the tying run. Andy Parrino then put the Padres ahead to stay with a long three run homer to right field.
The next batter, Jedd Gyorko, knocked Williams out of the game with a line drive off of his right forearm. Williams (0-1) took the loss, as he allowed six runs, five earned, on eight hits.
Efren Navarro led the Bees with three hits, while Matt Long added two hits and two runs batted in.
Reliever Bobby Cassevah got roughed up in a relief appearance as well.
In short: Angels' pitcher Jerome Williams, down with the club on a rehab assignment, gave up six runs on eight hits on his way to the loss. Efren Navarro led the Bees with three hits.
Up next: at Tucson, 8:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: July 4-8 vs. Tacoma
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29