TUCSON, Ariz. — The Bees jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second inning, but could not hang on as the Tucson Padres rallied for a 10-6 win over Salt Lake on Sunday night.
Matt Long put the Bees in front with a two-run triple and later scored on a wild pitch. Tucson came back with two in the second off of Angels' pitcher Jerome Williams, who was with Salt Lake on a Major League injury rehab assignment.
In the third, a single and error put two runners on base before Anthony Contreras singled in the tying run. Andy Parrino then put the Padres ahead to stay with a long three run homer to right field.
The next batter, Jedd Gyorko, knocked Williams out of the game with a line drive off of his right forearm. Williams (0-1) took the loss, as he allowed six runs, five earned, on eight hits.
Efren Navarro led the Bees with three hits, while Matt Long added two hits and two runs batted in.
Reliever Bobby Cassevah got roughed up in a relief appearance as well.
In short: Angels' pitcher Jerome Williams, down with the club on a rehab assignment, gave up six runs on eight hits on his way to the loss. Efren Navarro led the Bees with three hits.
Up next: at Tucson, 8:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: July 4-8 vs. Tacoma
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- After last year's bowl loss, BYU seniors...
- Rudy Gobert's fast break impressed and amused...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28