TUCSON, Ariz. — The Bees jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second inning, but could not hang on as the Tucson Padres rallied for a 10-6 win over Salt Lake on Sunday night.
Matt Long put the Bees in front with a two-run triple and later scored on a wild pitch. Tucson came back with two in the second off of Angels' pitcher Jerome Williams, who was with Salt Lake on a Major League injury rehab assignment.
In the third, a single and error put two runners on base before Anthony Contreras singled in the tying run. Andy Parrino then put the Padres ahead to stay with a long three run homer to right field.
The next batter, Jedd Gyorko, knocked Williams out of the game with a line drive off of his right forearm. Williams (0-1) took the loss, as he allowed six runs, five earned, on eight hits.
Efren Navarro led the Bees with three hits, while Matt Long added two hits and two runs batted in.
Reliever Bobby Cassevah got roughed up in a relief appearance as well.
In short: Angels' pitcher Jerome Williams, down with the club on a rehab assignment, gave up six runs on eight hits on his way to the loss. Efren Navarro led the Bees with three hits.
Up next: at Tucson, 8:05 p.m. today
Next homestand: July 4-8 vs. Tacoma
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 12
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named... 7