NEW YORK — Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp has asked Carlos Beltran, Carlos Gonzalez and Giancarlo Stanton to join him on the NL side for the All-Star home run derby.
Kemp made the invitations Sunday. The rosters for the All-Star game July 10 in Kansas City were announced earlier in the day.
Kemp is on the disabled list because of a strained left hamstring. He is unlikely to play in the game, but is the NL captain for the derby and wants to take part.
AL captain Robinson Cano will announce his derby squad Monday.
Torre backs Clemens: Joe Torre thinks pitcher Roger Clemens belongs in the Hall of Fame even though the seven-time Cy Young Award winner has been connected to performance-enhancing drugs.
Torre said Clemens was like a son to him before the former Yankees manager took part in Old-Timers' Day at the new Yankee Stadium on Sunday.
Clemens played six seasons in New York for Torre, helping the Yankees win two World Series championships. But the 354-game winner was linked to performance-enhancing drugs in 2007, when he was mentioned in the Mitchell Report. Clemens then vehemently disavowed any link to steroids and human growth hormone at a nationally televised congressional hearing in 2008.
Braves sign sheets: The Atlanta Braves signed veteran starter Ben Sheets to a minor-league contract Sunday. The 33-year-old Sheets will report to Double-A Mississippi on Wednesday.
The right-hander last pitched in 2010 with Oakland, going 4-9 with a 4.53 ERA in 20 starts.
Atlanta's rotation took a hit recently when Brandon Beachy was lost for the season to a torn elbow ligament. Beachy was 5-5 over 13 starts with a 2.00 ERA, tied for lowest in the majors. He had surgery June 25.
Sheets, a four-time NL All-Star, missed the 2009 season after undergoing a similar surgery on his right elbow. He played for Milwaukee from 2001-2008, going 86-83 with a 3.72 ERA in 221 starts.
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- 1A boys basketball tournament: roundup of...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Morning links: Jazz's sudden rise; SI breaks...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- The name game: pronouncing the names of the...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 74
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40