NEW YORK — Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp has asked Carlos Beltran, Carlos Gonzalez and Giancarlo Stanton to join him on the NL side for the All-Star home run derby.
Kemp made the invitations Sunday. The rosters for the All-Star game July 10 in Kansas City were announced earlier in the day.
Kemp is on the disabled list because of a strained left hamstring. He is unlikely to play in the game, but is the NL captain for the derby and wants to take part.
AL captain Robinson Cano will announce his derby squad Monday.
Torre backs Clemens: Joe Torre thinks pitcher Roger Clemens belongs in the Hall of Fame even though the seven-time Cy Young Award winner has been connected to performance-enhancing drugs.
Torre said Clemens was like a son to him before the former Yankees manager took part in Old-Timers' Day at the new Yankee Stadium on Sunday.
Clemens played six seasons in New York for Torre, helping the Yankees win two World Series championships. But the 354-game winner was linked to performance-enhancing drugs in 2007, when he was mentioned in the Mitchell Report. Clemens then vehemently disavowed any link to steroids and human growth hormone at a nationally televised congressional hearing in 2008.
Braves sign sheets: The Atlanta Braves signed veteran starter Ben Sheets to a minor-league contract Sunday. The 33-year-old Sheets will report to Double-A Mississippi on Wednesday.
The right-hander last pitched in 2010 with Oakland, going 4-9 with a 4.53 ERA in 20 starts.
Atlanta's rotation took a hit recently when Brandon Beachy was lost for the season to a torn elbow ligament. Beachy was 5-5 over 13 starts with a 2.00 ERA, tied for lowest in the majors. He had surgery June 25.
Sheets, a four-time NL All-Star, missed the 2009 season after undergoing a similar surgery on his right elbow. He played for Milwaukee from 2001-2008, going 86-83 with a 3.72 ERA in 221 starts.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Rookie Rodney Hood wins award, Jazz lose...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 24
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16