POCATELLO, Idaho — A manufacturing company has held a ribbon cutting ceremony in eastern Idaho where it's created 190 jobs for workers building modular workforce housing units to be shipped to oil and mining sites throughout the world.
The Idaho State Journal reports that ATCO, based in Alberta, Canada, held the ceremony Wednesday in Pocatello at the Gateway West industrial park off Pole Line Road.
"I think this is a great home for the new ATCO plant," said Pocatello Mayor Brian Blad.
"We have a wonderful workforce here. I could see this plant one day doubling and tripling in size."
Company CEO Nancy Southern thanked the community and state leaders for the reception of the community.
"I hope this company will bring great pride to people here," said Southern.
"We're starting fresh here today and when we look back 20 years from now, I think we'll be proud of what we've accomplished."
Plant manager David Cook said the company will have to build the housing units quickly due to demand. A partially constructed, 720-square-foot unit was being put together on an assembly line in Building 36.
"We expect to complete three units per day, once we are up and fully running," he said. "Ninety percent of the supplies we use come from companies in Idaho."
Cook said Franklin Lumber and Wall 2 Wall Carpet are two of a number of local companies getting additional business due to the manufacturing plant.
"When I met with ATCO officials, the thing that impressed me the most was their concern for the Idaho companies they could use as suppliers," said Idaho Director of Commerce Jeff Sayer. "That's just not something you see nowadays."
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- Failed resort embittered friends, Marc Jenson...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Fed sees strengthening economy but stays...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 61
- Business community supports tax... 22
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline 7
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80... 7
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 4
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- Knocking doors: What to know before... 3