Five people died when a vehicle returning to Colorado from a Boy Scout camp in Wyoming slammed head-on into a motor home, authorities said Sunday.
Among the victims were three Scouts and their adult troop leader, all from Woodland Park, Colo., a town ravaged in recent weeks by wildfires, the Colorado Springs Gazette reported. A 3-year-old passenger in the motor home also died, the Wyoming Highway Patrol said.
Four others were injured in the crash on Highway 120 on Saturday near Thermopolis in north-central Wyoming. Their conditions were not immediately known.
The Boy Scouts were traveling in a Honda Element, which was one of three vehicles taking a group of Scouts back to the Colorado Springs area. The two other vehicles transporting the Scouts were not involved in the crash.
The newspaper also reported Sunday that the local Boy Scouts council released a statement saying "yesterday was an extremely difficult day for the entire Scouting family."
The Highway Patrol declined to release any other information, including the names of the victims.
Hot Springs County Sheriff Lou Falgoust told The Billings (Mont.) Gazette the troop members were working toward their Eagle Scout badges and had been camping around an area known as Pahaska Teepee, near Yellowstone National Park.
Investigators are still trying to determine why the Honda crossed the center line.
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Medicaid enrollees strain Oregon; state...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza border
- Official: Air Algerie flight carrying 116...
- Dutch say plane's black box damaged but not...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 48
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 23
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 15
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 14