David Tulis, Associated Press
ATLANTA — Washington Nationals ace Stephen Strasburg said he's feeling much better one day after lasting just three innings in the record-setting Atlanta heat.
Thanks to a good night's sleep at the team hotel, Strasburg looked rested and relaxed in the clubhouse on Sunday morning.
"Yeah, as soon as I got back, I just hit the mattress and passed out," he said with a smile.
Strasburg had little reason to smile Saturday, when the National Weather Service reported that the city of Atlanta was broiling at an all-time high of 106 degrees.
Strasburg couldn't return to pitch the fourth inning against the Braves, and Washington manager Davey Johnson noted he was pale, dizzy and barely responding to questions from pitching coach Steve McCatty.
Johnson later was told that severe dehydration led to three intravenous fluid treaments for his young right-hander.
Strasburg spoke before Sunday's game with Nationals starter Gio Gonalez and warned his teammate to be careful with the conditions. The game-time temperature was 101.
"Obviously you want to try and hydrate as much as you can," Strasburg said. "Hopefully it's not as hot as it was yesterday, but it's something that you're just going to have to try and deal with. At the same time, you have to be smart and listen to your body and if it doesn't feel right, you have to take every precaution."
Saturday marked just the second time in Strasburg's 33 starts that the he lost consecutive outings. The three-inning performance also tied for the shortest of his career.
Strasburg, who began the day leading the majors with 122 strikeouts, will try to win his 10th game Friday at home against Colorado.
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah Utes...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Brad Rock: If the NFL could add a team in...
- More than just football: Alema Te'o promotes...
- Utah Jazz hire Jerry Sloan in a senior...
- Utah Jazz: Possible Jazz draftee Michael...
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 187
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 72
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah... 46
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 37
- Utes basketball: Utah conducting... 35
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv,... 20
- Brad Rock: USU coach Matt Wells has... 11
- University of Utah 'restructures'... 11