Campaign officials say they do see some fresh opportunity to change perceptions about the law and draw contrasts with Romney. They will do that by focusing on popular elements that could disappear, such as the promise of insurance for people with medical conditions.
In his majority opinion, Roberts made clear he was not offering a policy endorsement of what Obama and his Democratic allies had done.
"Those decisions are entrusted to our nation's elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them," the chief justice said. "It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices."
Obama is that guy trying not to get thrown out of office. He had an eye on the legacy of the law within hours of knowing it was saved.
"I'm as confident as ever that when we look back five years from now, or 10 years from now, or 20 years from now, we'll be better off, because we had the courage to pass this law and keep moving forward," he said.
Implied in there was his message to voters to keep moving forward with him.
"The court victory is a huge step towards making affordable health care a reality to everyone in the country," said Robert Gibbs, a senior advisor to Obama's campaign. "We have another big hurdle left. It's called the election."
Online: Health care interactive: hosted.ap.org/interactives/2012/healthcare
Follow Ben Feller on Twitter: twitter.com/BenFellerDC
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 106
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 29
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 22