I was really impressed with the comments made by Tom Metcalf ("Affordable Care Act helps Utah," My View, June 22) with reference to the Affordable Care Act. He showered us with facts and figures, outlining savings in drug costs for seniors, parents sheltering their "children" up to the age of 26 years old in their health care plan, denying health insurance company "preexisting condition policies" and making the argument that the whole plan will be cost neutral within 10 years.
Like King Agrippa, "almost thou persuadest me." Then logic kicked in. We are going to add 30 million people to the health care rolls at no extra cost? Are we not changing the role of insurance companies? Don't they provide a way for us to prepare now for any possible circumstances in the future? Shouldn't we be teaching our children to prepare now for their future?
Health care is not a "right"; it is a responsibility that each of us must deal with. Individuals, family members and churches should all strive to help those in need. Obviously there are and always will be exceptions to the rule and then local government should provide assistance.
Republicans are realists. This country is already $16 trillion in debt, and yet we continue to add to that debt at a rate of $4 billion to $5 billion every day. It is outrageous to saddle our children with that debt and blithely tell them, "It's OK, we are going to take care of your health problems."
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- John Florez: Utah public education is a house...
- In our opinion: How committed are Obama, U.S....
- 19 songs to consider as replacements for the...
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- Catherine Rampell: Have America's public...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on marriage?
- In our opinion: The Scots have set an example...
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 93
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 76
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 37
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Richard Davis: Scots — Be brave,... 25
- In our opinion: Accountability,... 25
- Who likes Obama's ISIS plan, and who... 24
- My view: Intergenerational poverty the... 19