I was really impressed with the comments made by Tom Metcalf ("Affordable Care Act helps Utah," My View, June 22) with reference to the Affordable Care Act. He showered us with facts and figures, outlining savings in drug costs for seniors, parents sheltering their "children" up to the age of 26 years old in their health care plan, denying health insurance company "preexisting condition policies" and making the argument that the whole plan will be cost neutral within 10 years.
Like King Agrippa, "almost thou persuadest me." Then logic kicked in. We are going to add 30 million people to the health care rolls at no extra cost? Are we not changing the role of insurance companies? Don't they provide a way for us to prepare now for any possible circumstances in the future? Shouldn't we be teaching our children to prepare now for their future?
Health care is not a "right"; it is a responsibility that each of us must deal with. Individuals, family members and churches should all strive to help those in need. Obviously there are and always will be exceptions to the rule and then local government should provide assistance.
Republicans are realists. This country is already $16 trillion in debt, and yet we continue to add to that debt at a rate of $4 billion to $5 billion every day. It is outrageous to saddle our children with that debt and blithely tell them, "It's OK, we are going to take care of your health problems."
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal, Affordable...
- What one word best describes Barack Obama?
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination stance...
- Michael Gerson: America has enough problems...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- Letter: Antelope Island prison
- What The New York Times gets wrong... 76
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal,... 70
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 50
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 42
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in... 37
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33