Charles Dharapak, Associated Press
Our Take: Scott Conroy recently wrote at RealClearPolitics about a unique but significant group of Latter-day Saint members who don't relate to Mitt Romney's politics, and in fact are quite behind Barack Obama for a second term as president. While a tiny minority, these faithful are not shy about why they don't support the man who could become the first Mormon president, speaking on campus and using social media to ensure their 'endgame is to represent the diversity of the Church.'
"In many ways, Hannah Wheelwright fits the typical profile of a young volunteer for President Obama's re-election campaign.
"Wheelwright, 19, grew up in northern Virginia before heading out West to Utah to pursue a political science degree and becoming active in her colleges Democratic Party chapter. Now a sophomore, she plans to spend the summer helping to organize road trips to neighboring Colorado for out-of-state volunteers through a fellowship she received from the Obama campaign.
"But as a practicing Mormon on the conservative campus of Brigham Young University, which happens to be Mitt Romneys alma mater, Wheelwrights support for Obama is often met with mystified reactions from her peers."
Read more about Pro-Obama Mormons Unswayed by Shared Faith With Romney on RealClearPolitics.
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- Train with plane crash bodies leaves rebel town
- BYU-Idaho, Rexburg experience flooding after...
- Dutch tell rebels: Train full of bodies must...
- Survey: Public 'warm' to Jews, Catholics and...
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard to...
- To encourage saving, some states turn to prizes
- Obama will sign order barring gay,...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 35
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 22
- Tea party groups' suit against IRS... 20
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 18
- US appeals court tosses Oklahoma gay... 17
- Ukraine: 295 on Malaysia plane shot... 14
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12
- Liberals swoon for Elizabeth Warren,... 9