Christian groups step in to help victims of Colorado wildfires
The Coloradoan, Dawn Madura, AP Photo
Our take: Thousands of Colorado residents have been displaced as wildfires speed across the state, destroying and threatening more people and homes each day. In response, chaplains have traveled to areas being hit by fires to offer spiritual and emotional support to residents as well as to local churches, which are also responding with food, offers of shelter and relief supplies.
The Billy Graham Rapid Response Team is in Colorado and New Mexico where thousands of people have been displaced as a result of wildfires.
Chaplains have been sent to the Ruidoso and Capitan area of New Mexico, and Fort Collins in Colorado, where they are offering spiritual and emotional support.
"Many of those who have been evacuated and unable to return home have told us that the worst part is not knowing," said Jack Munday, director of the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team.
"They don't know if their homes are still standing, don't know if their pets are alive, and don't know if they've lost all they own in this world.
"Our chaplains are there to encourage the ministry of local churches, and offer a listening ear, practical assistance and support to those affected. We want to bring the compassion and hope of Jesus Christ into this horrible situation."
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay unions...
- Courage and valor: 'The Mormon boy didn't...
- 'That's a wrap': LDS Church's Bible Videos...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- Ask Angela: He's engaged, but we still talk...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of... 87
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay... 75
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 64
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 42
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 28
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 24
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Letters to family show Steven Powell... 17