BYU baseball: Mike Littlewood named head baseball coach at BYU
PROVO — After 24 years away from the program, Mike Littlewood is coming back to Provo as BYU's head baseball coach. BYU announced earlier today the hiring of Littlewood, who replaces long-time coach Vance Law, who held the position for 13 years.
"We are please to announce Mike as the new BYU head baseball coach," said BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe in a released statement. "He is passionate about baseball and his enthusiasm is contagious. Mike has been very successful at every level of coaching and we look forward to having him guide our baseball program."
Following a brief stint in the minor leagues, Littlewood coached at Alta High in Salt Lake City and helped guide the Zion Pioneerzz — a minor league team in St. George — to the 2001 Western Baseball League championship.
Since 1996 he's served as Dixie State College's head coach, compiling the most wins in school history (563-238 record) and winning eight league titles. Littlewood was named as the National JUCO Coach of the year in 2004 after leading Dixie to a national championship.
"I am very excited to return to BYU and coach the baseball program. I love teaching the game of baseball and have been preparing for this opportunity for a long time," Littlewood said. "As a former player I realize the unique opportunities BYU has to offer. I look forward to recruiting quality student-athletes, engaging former players in the program, and returning BYU baseball to national prominence."
Littlewood has a bachelor's degree from BYU in secondary education/physical education. He and his wife Dani are the parents of four children: Tyson, Nathan, Marcus and Mica. Marcus was drafted in the second round of the 2010 MLB Draft by the Seattle Mariners.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25