BYU baseball: Mike Littlewood named head baseball coach at BYU
PROVO — After 24 years away from the program, Mike Littlewood is coming back to Provo as BYU's head baseball coach. BYU announced earlier today the hiring of Littlewood, who replaces long-time coach Vance Law, who held the position for 13 years.
"We are please to announce Mike as the new BYU head baseball coach," said BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe in a released statement. "He is passionate about baseball and his enthusiasm is contagious. Mike has been very successful at every level of coaching and we look forward to having him guide our baseball program."
Following a brief stint in the minor leagues, Littlewood coached at Alta High in Salt Lake City and helped guide the Zion Pioneerzz — a minor league team in St. George — to the 2001 Western Baseball League championship.
Since 1996 he's served as Dixie State College's head coach, compiling the most wins in school history (563-238 record) and winning eight league titles. Littlewood was named as the National JUCO Coach of the year in 2004 after leading Dixie to a national championship.
"I am very excited to return to BYU and coach the baseball program. I love teaching the game of baseball and have been preparing for this opportunity for a long time," Littlewood said. "As a former player I realize the unique opportunities BYU has to offer. I look forward to recruiting quality student-athletes, engaging former players in the program, and returning BYU baseball to national prominence."
Littlewood has a bachelor's degree from BYU in secondary education/physical education. He and his wife Dani are the parents of four children: Tyson, Nathan, Marcus and Mica. Marcus was drafted in the second round of the 2010 MLB Draft by the Seattle Mariners.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 13
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5