SALT LAKE CITY — Decorated war veterans and members of the Utah National Guard filled a ballroom at the Little America Hotel on Wednesday evening to honor eight Utahns with the Bronze Minuteman Award — an honor granted to military members and civilians for their service to the state and their communities.
"You are an example of people finding ways to serve," Gov. Gary Herbert said at the event.
This year's honorees come from many backgrounds, including local leaders in religion, business, education and military service.
This year marks the 51st Bronze Minuteman Awards dinner, an event sponsored by the Honorary Colonels Corps of Utah — an organization promoting goodwill and positive relations among the National Guard and Utah communities.
The 2012 Bronze Minutemen recipients include:
Dr. Harvey Davis, director of installations and logistics for the National Security Agency, honored for his years of service to the U.S.
Tom Guinney, restaurant owner and businessman, recognized for his years of service to the community and state.
Dr. Craig Jessop, founding dean for the Caine College of the Arts at Utah State University and former Mormon Tabernacle Choir director, honored for a lifetime spent enriching lives through music.
Elder Russell M. Nelson, member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, awarded for his numerous contributions to science and medicine.
After 37 years of service in the Utah Army National Guard, Command Sgt. Maj. Bruce D. Summers was awarded for his work as an artilleryman, leader and good influence on soldiers.
Maj. Gen. Brian L. Tarbet was awarded for his service and dedication to the state and the U.S. Maj. Gen. Tarbet has served in a variety of responsibilities, primarily in military intelligence.
Colonel Richard C. Workman, chief executive officer and a principal owner of Pentalon Corporation, a large developer in Utah.
Brig. Gen. Roland R. Wright, pilot of the "Mormon mustang," was recognized for his 32 years of service to his country.
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- 25-year-old man dies after losing control of...
- Teen with traumatic brain injury making...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 73
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 61
- British judge hears arguments in case... 51
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 29